Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (a) containing or filled with salt; "salt water"
2. (n) a compound formed by replacing hydrogen in an acid by a metal (or a radical that acts like a metal)
3. (v) add salt to
4. (n) white crystalline form of especially sodium chloride used to season and preserve food
5. (s) of speech that is painful or bitter; "salt scorn"- Shakespeare; "a salt apology"
6. (v) sprinkle as if with salt; "the rebels had salted the fields with mines and traps"
7. (s) one of the four basic taste sensations; like the taste of sea water
8. (v) add zest or liveliness to; "She salts her lectures with jokes"
9. (n) negotiations between the United States and the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics opened in 1969 in Helsinki designed to limit both countries" stock of nuclear weapons
10. (v) preserve with salt; "people used to salt meats on ships"
11. (n) the taste experience when salt is taken into the mouth
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.