Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (n) formal and explicit approval; "a Democrat usually gets the union''s endorsement"
2. (v) give sanction to; "I approve of his educational policies"
3. (n) a mechanism of social control for enforcing a society''s standards
4. (v) give authority or permission to
5. (n) official permission or approval; "authority for the program was renewed several times"
6. (v) give religious sanction to, such as through on oath; "sanctify the marriage"
7. (n) the act of final authorization; "it had the sanction of the church"
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.