Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (v) measure by or as if by a scale; "This bike scales only 25 pounds"
2. (n) an ordered reference standard; "judging on a scale of 1 to 10"
3. (v) pattern, make, regulate, set, measure, or estimate according to some rate or standard
4. (n) relative magnitude; "they entertained on a grand scale"
5. (n) the ratio between the size of something and a representation of it; "the scale of the map" "the scale of the model"
6. (v) take by attacking with scaling ladders; "The troops scaled the walls of the fort"
7. (v) reach the highest point of; "We scaled the Mont Blanc"
8. (n) an indicator having a graduated sequence of marks
9. (n) a specialized leaf or bract that protects a bud or catkin
10. (v) climb up by means of a ladder
11. (n) a thin flake of dead epidermis shed from the surface of the skin
12. (v) remove the scales from; "scale fish"
13. (n) (music) a series of notes differing in pitch according to a specific scheme (usually within an octave)
14. (v) measure with or as if with scales; "scale the gold"
15. (v) size or measure according to a scale; "This model must be scaled down"
16. (n) a measuring instrument for weighing; shows amount of mass
17. (n) a metal sheathing of uniform thickness (such as the shield attached to an artillery piece to protect the gunners)
18. (n) a flattened rigid plate forming part of the body covering of many animals
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.