Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (n) the activity of looking thoroughly in order to find something or someone
2. (v) try to locate or discover, or try to establish the existence of; "The police are searching for clues" "They are searching for the missing man in the entire county"
3. (n) an investigation seeking answers; "a thorough search of the ledgers revealed nothing" "the outcome justified the search"
4. (v) search or seek; "We looked all day and finally found the child in the forest" "Look elsewhere for the perfect gift!"
5. (n) an operation that determines whether one or more of a set of items has a specified property; "they wrote a program to do a table lookup"
6. (v) inquire into
7. (n) the examination of alternative hypotheses; "his search for a move that would avoid checkmate was unsuccessful"
8. (v) subject to a search; "The police searched the suspect" "We searched the whole house for the missing keys"
9. (n) boarding and inspecting a ship on the high seas; "right of search"
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.