Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (v) follow, usually without the person''s knowledge; "The police are shadowing her"
2. (n) shade within clear boundaries
3. (v) cast a shadow over
4. (n) an unilluminated area; "he moved off into the darkness"
5. (n) something existing in perception only; "a ghostly apparition at midnight"
6. (v) make appear small by comparison; "This year''s debt dwarves that of last year"
7. (n) a premonition of something adverse; "a shadow over his happiness"
8. (n) an indication that something has been present; "there wasn''t a trace of evidence for the claim" "a tincture of condescension"
9. (n) refuge from danger or observation; "he felt secure in his father''s shadow"
10. (n) a dominating and pervasive presence; "he received little recognition working in the shadow of his father"
11. (n) a spy employed to follow someone and report their movements
12. (n) an inseparable companion; "the poor child was his mother''s shadow"
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.