Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (n) a perceptible indication of something not immediately apparent (as a visible clue that something has happened) "he showed signs of strain" "they welcomed the signs of spring"
2. (v) mark with one''s signature; write one''s name (on) "She signed the letter and sent it off" "Please sign here"
3. (v) approve and express assent, responsibility, or obligation; "All parties ratified the peace treaty" "Have you signed your contract yet?"
4. (n) a public display of a (usually written) message; "he posted signs in all the shop windows"
5. (n) any communication that encodes a message; "signals from the boat suddenly stopped"
6. (v) be engaged by a written agreement; "He signed to play the casino on Dec. 18" "The soprano signed to sing the new opera"
7. (v) engage by written agreement; "They signed two new pitchers for the next season"
8. (n) structure displaying a board on which advertisements can be posted; "the highway was lined with signboards"
9. (n) (astrology) one of 12 equal areas into which the zodiac is divided
10. (v) communicate silently and non-verbally by signals or signs; "He signed his disapproval with a dismissive hand gesture" "The diner signaled the waiters to bring the menu"
11. (v) place signs, as along a road; "sign an intersection" "This road has been signed"
12. (n) (medicine) any objective evidence of the presence of a disorder or disease; "there were no signs of asphixiation"
13. (v) communicate in sign language; "I don''t know how to sign, so I could not communicate with my deaf cousin"
14. (n) having an indicated pole (as the distinction between positive and negative electric charges) "he got the polarity of the battery reversed" "charges of opposite sign"
15. (v) make the sign of the cross over someone in order to call on God for protection; consecrate
16. (n) an event that is experienced as indicating important things to come; "he hoped it was an augury" "it was a sign from God"
17. (n) a gesture that is part of a sign language
18. (n) a fundamental linguistic unit linking a signifier to that which is signified; "The bond between the signifier and the signified is arbitrary"--de Saussure
19. (n) a character indicating a relation between quantities; "don''t forget the minus sign"
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.