Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (n) a kind of pain such as that caused by a wound or a burn or a sore
2. (v) be the source of pain
3. (a) showing mental alertness and calculation and resourcefulness
4. (s) elegant and stylish; "chic elegance" "a smart new dress" "a suit of voguish cut"
5. (s) characterized by quickness and ease in learning; "some children are brighter in one subject than another" "smart children talk earlier than the average"
6. (s) improperly forward or bold; "don''t be fresh with me" "impertinent of a child to lecture a grownup" "an impudent boy given to insulting strangers"
7. (s) marked by smartness in dress and manners; "a dapper young man" "a jaunty red hat"
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.