Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (n) the act of delivering a formal spoken communication to an audience; "he listened to an address on minor Roman poets"
2. (n) (language) communication by word of mouth; "his speech was garbled" "he uttered harsh language" "he recorded the spoken language of the streets"
3. (n) something spoken; "he could hear them uttering merry speeches"
4. (n) the exchange of spoken words; "they were perfectly comfortable together without speech"
5. (n) your characteristic style or manner of expressing yourself orally; "his manner of speaking was quite abrupt" "her speech was barren of southernisms" "I detected a slight accent in his speech"
6. (n) a lengthy rebuke; "a good lecture was my father''s idea of discipline" "the teacher gave him a talking to"
7. (n) words making up the dialogue of a play; "the actor forgot his speech"
8. (n) the mental faculty or power of vocal communication; "language sets homo sapiens apart from all other animals"
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.