Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (v) grow out of, have roots in, originate in; "The increase in the national debt stems from the last war"
2. (n) (linguistics) the form of a word after all affixes are removed; "thematic vowels are part of the stem"
3. (v) cause to point inward; "stem your skis"
4. (n) a slender or elongated structure that supports a plant or fungus or a plant part or plant organ
5. (n) cylinder forming a long narrow part of something
6. (v) stop the flow of a liquid; "staunch the blood flow" "them the tide"
7. (n) the tube of a tobacco pipe
8. (v) remove the stem from; "for automatic natural language processing, the words must be stemmed"
9. (n) front part of a vessel or aircraft; "he pointed the bow of the boat toward the finish line"
10. (n) a turn made in skiing; the back of one ski is forced outward and the other ski is brought parallel to it
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.