Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (n) any maneuver made as part of progress toward a goal; "the situation called for strong measures" "the police took steps to reduce crime"
2. (v) shift or move by taking a step; "step back"
3. (v) put down or press the foot, place the foot; "For fools rush in where angels fear to tread" "step on the brake"
4. (n) the distance covered by a step; "he stepped off ten paces from the old tree and began to dig"
5. (v) cause (a computer) to execute a single command
6. (n) the act of changing location by raising the foot and setting it down; "he walked with unsteady steps"
7. (v) treat badly; "This boss abuses his workers" "She is always stepping on others to get ahead"
8. (n) support consisting of a place to rest the foot while ascending or descending a stairway; "he paused on the bottom step"
9. (n) relative position in a graded series; "always a step behind" "subtle gradations in color" "keep in step with the fashions"
10. (v) furnish with steps; "The architect wants to step the terrace"
11. (n) a short distance; "it''s only a step to the drugstore"
12. (v) move with one''s feet in a specific manner; "step lively"
13. (n) the sound of a step of someone walking; "he heard footsteps on the porch"
14. (v) walk a short distance to a specified place or in a specified manner; "step over to the blackboard"
15. (v) place (a ship''s mast) in its step
16. (n) a musical interval of two semitones
17. (v) measure (distances) by pacing; "step off ten yards"
18. (n) a mark of a foot or shoe on a surface; "the police made casts of the footprints in the soft earth outside the window"
19. (v) move or proceed as if by steps into a new situation; "She stepped into a life of luxury" "he won''t step into his father''s footsteps"
20. (n) a solid block joined to the beams in which the heel of a ship''s mast or capstan is fixed
21. (n) a sequence of foot movements that make up a particular dance; "he taught them the waltz step"
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.