Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (n) the capital raised by a corporation through the issue of shares entitling holders to an ownership interest (equity) "he owns a controlling share of the company''s stock"
2. (v) have on hand; "Do you carry kerosene heaters?"
3. (v) equip with a stock; "stock a rifle"
4. (s) routine; "a stock answer"
5. (n) liquid in which meat and vegetables are simmered; used as a basis for e.g. soups or sauces; "she made gravy with a base of beef stock"
6. (n) the merchandise that a shop has on hand; "they carried a vast inventory of hardware"
7. (s) regularly and widely used or sold; "a standard size" "a stock item"
8. (v) supply with fish; "stock a lake"
9. (v) supply with livestock; "stock a farm"
10. (n) a supply of something available for future use; "he brought back a large store of Cuban cigars"
11. (v) stock up on to keep for future use or sale; "let''s stock coffee as long as prices are low"
12. (n) not used technically; any animals kept for use or profit
13. (n) the descendants of one individual; "his entire lineage has been warriors"
14. (v) provide or furnish with a stock of something; "stock the larder with meat"
15. (n) the handle of a handgun or the butt end of a rifle or shotgun or part of the support of a machine gun or artillery gun; "the rifle had been fitted with a special stock"
16. (v) put forth and grow sprouts or shoots; "the plant sprouted early this year"
17. (n) the reputation and popularity a person has; "his stock was so high he could have been elected mayor"
18. (n) a special variety of domesticated animals within a species; "he experimented on a particular breed of white rats" "he created a new strain of sheep"
19. (n) lumber used in the construction of something; "they will cut round stock to 1-inch diameter"
20. (n) a certificate documenting the shareholder''s ownership in the corporation; "the value of his stocks doubled during the past year"
21. (n) any of various ornamental flowering plants of the genus Malcolmia
22. (n) a plant or stem onto which a graft is made; especially a plant grown specifically to provide the root part of grafted plants
23. (n) any of several Old World plants cultivated for their brightly colored flowers
24. (n) the handle end of some implements or tools; "he grabbed the cue by the stock"
25. (n) persistent thickened stem of a herbaceous perennial plant
26. (n) an ornamental white cravat
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.