Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (n) a quantity of money; "he borrowed a large sum" "the amount he had in cash was insufficient"
2. (v) be a summary of; "The abstract summarizes the main ideas in the paper"
3. (n) a quantity obtained by addition
4. (v) determine the sum of; "Add all the people in this town to those of the neighboring town"
5. (n) the final aggregate; "the sum of all our troubles did not equal the misery they suffered"
6. (n) the choicest or most essential or most vital part of some idea or experience; "the gist of the prosecutor''s argument" "the heart and soul of the Republican Party" "the nub of the story"
7. (n) the whole amount
8. (n) the basic unit of money in Uzbekistan
9. (n) a set containing all and only the members of two or more given sets; "let C be the union of the sets A and B"
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.