Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (v) change over, change around, or switch over
2. (n) control consisting of a mechanical or electrical or electronic device for making or breaking or changing the connections in a circuit
3. (v) exchange or give (something) in exchange for
4. (n) an event in which one thing is substituted for another; "the replacement of lost blood by a transfusion of donor blood"
5. (n) hairpiece consisting of a tress of false hair; used by women to give shape to a coiffure
6. (v) lay aside, abandon, or leave for another; "switch to a different brand of beer" "She switched psychiatrists" "The car changed lanes"
7. (n) railroad track having two movable rails and necessary connections; used to turn a train from one track to another or to store rolling stock
8. (v) make a shift in or exchange of; "First Joe led; then we switched"
9. (n) a flexible implement used as an instrument of punishment
10. (v) cause to go on or to be engaged or set in operation; "switch on the light" "throw the lever"
11. (n) a basketball maneuver; two defensive players shift assignments so that each guards the player usually guarded by the other
12. (v) flog with or as if with a flexible rod
13. (v) reverse (a direction, attitude, or course of action)
14. (n) the act of changing one thing or position for another; "his switch on abortion cost him the election"
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.