Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (n) any standardized procedure for measuring sensitivity or memory or intelligence or aptitude or personality etc; "the test was standardized on a large sample of students"
2. (v) put to the test, as for its quality, or give experimental use to; "This approach has been tried with good results" "Test this recipe"
3. (n) the act of testing something; "in the experimental trials the amount of carbon was measured separately" "he called each flip of the coin a new trial"
4. (v) test or examine for the presence of disease or infection; "screen the blood for the HIV virus"
5. (n) the act of undergoing testing; "he survived the great test of battle" "candidates must compete in a trial of skill"
6. (v) examine someone''s knowledge of something; "The teacher tests us every week" "We got quizzed on French irregular verbs"
7. (v) show a certain characteristic when tested; "He tested positive for HIV"
8. (n) trying something to find out about it; "a sample for ten days free trial" "a trial of progesterone failed to relieve the pain"
9. (n) a set of questions or exercises evaluating skill or knowledge; "when the test was stolen the professor had to make a new set of questions"
10. (v) achieve a certain score or rating on a test; "She tested high on the LSAT and was admitted to all the good law schools"
11. (v) determine the presence or properties of (a substance)
12. (n) a hard outer covering as of some amoebas and sea urchins
13. (v) undergo a test; "She doesn''t test well"
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.