Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (n) the distinctive quality or pitch or condition of a person''s speech; "A shrill voice sounded behind us"
2. (v) give voice to; "He voiced his concern"
3. (v) utter with vibrating vocal chords
4. (n) the sound made by the vibration of vocal folds modified by the resonance of the vocal tract; "a singer takes good care of his voice" "the giraffe cannot make any vocalizations"
5. (n) a sound suggestive of a vocal utterance; "the noisy voice of the waterfall" "the incessant voices of the artillery"
6. (n) expressing in coherent verbal form; "the articulation of my feelings" "I gave voice to my feelings"
7. (n) a means or agency by which something is expressed or communicated; "the voice of the law" "the Times is not the voice of New York" "conservatism has many voices"
8. (n) something suggestive of speech in being a medium of expression; "the wee small voice of conscience" "the voice of experience" "he said his voices told him to do it"
9. (n) (metonymy) a singer; "he wanted to hear trained voices sing it"
10. (n) an advocate who represents someone else''s policy or purpose; "the meeting was attended by spokespersons for all the major organs of government"
11. (n) the ability to speak; "he lost his voice"
12. (n) (linguistics) the grammatical relation (active or passive) of the grammatical subject of a verb to the action that the verb denotes
13. (n) the melody carried by a particular voice or instrument in polyphonic music; "he tried to sing the tenor part"
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.