Unveiling Apple’s iPhone 15 Pro: Notable Upgrades for 2023 Compared to iPhone 14 Pro
In Apple’s latest iteration of its Pro smartphone lineup, the iPhone 15 Pro, a series of subtle yet significant enhancements are taking center stage. Priced at $999 in the US, just like its predecessor, the iPhone 14 Pro, the 2023 model introduces several noteworthy changes. These include the introduction of a customizable Action Button to replace the long-standing mute switch, a lighter titanium design, and a revamped A17 Pro chip, showcasing Apple’s continued prowess in chip manufacturing.
On the international front, the iPhone 15 Pro is priced at £999 in the UK, which is a £100 reduction compared to the starting price of the iPhone 14 Pro. However, in Australia, the iPhone 15 Pro starts at AU$1,849, which is AU$50 more than the starting price of the iPhone 14 Pro.
Perhaps the most significant change is the transition from the Lightning port to USB-C for wired charging. This transition not only allows for using the same plug to charge Macs, most iPads, and USB-C-compatible AirPods but also enables faster data transfer speeds at USB 3.0 rates, making it ideal for transferring large photo and video files.
Charging rates over a wired connection appear to remain similar to the iPhone 14 Pro over Lightning. However, the shift to USB-C should make USB-C cables more widely available and affordable. Apple also includes a braided USB-C cable in the box, although they offer a separate dongle for $29 to use old Lightning plugs.
Some key aspects that remain unchanged include similar screen sizes, the presence of the Dynamic Island display technology, camera setups, Face ID for facial recognition, iOS 17, 5G support, and an IP68 rating for water and dust resistance. Below is a side-by-side comparison of the iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro specifications:
iPhone 15 Pro:
- Display size, tech, resolution, refresh rate, brightness: 6.1-inch OLED; 2,556×1,179 pixels; 1-120Hz refresh rate
- Pixel density: 460 ppi
- Dimensions (inches): 2.78×5.77×0.32 inches
- Weight (grams, ounces): 187 g (6.6 oz)
- Mobile software: iOS 17
- Camera: 48-megapixel (wide), 12-megapixel (ultrawide), 12-megapixel telephoto (3x optical)
- Front-facing camera: 12-megapixel
- Video capture: 4K
- Processor: A17 Pro
- Storage: 128GB, 256GB, 512GB, 1TB
- Expandable storage: None
- Battery/charging speeds: Undisclosed; Apple says up to 23 hours of video playback (20 hours streamed)
- Fingerprint sensor: None (Face ID)
- Connector: USB-C (USB 3.0)
- Headphone jack: None
- Special features: Action button, Dynamic Island, always-on display, 5G, water and dust resistant (IP68 rating), MagSafe
- US price off-contract: $999 (128GB), $1,099 (256GB), $1,299 (512GB), $1,499 (1TB)
- UK price: £999 (128GB), £1,099 (256GB), £1,299 (512GB), £1,499 (1TB)
iPhone 14 Pro:
- (Specifications identical to iPhone 15 Pro with the exception of processor)
- Processor: Apple A16 Bionic
These enhancements showcase Apple’s commitment to refining its flagship Pro line of smartphones for 2023.
Disposable Vapes vs. Traditional Vapes: Exploring Differences and Advantages in the Vaping Realm »