Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (n) productive work (especially physical work done for wages) "his labor did not require a great deal of skill"
2. (v) strive and make an effort to reach a goal; "She tugged for years to make a decent living" "We have to push a little to make the deadline!" "She is driving away at her doctoral thesis"
3. (v) work hard; "She was digging away at her math homework" "Lexicographers drudge all day long"
4. (n) a social class comprising those who do manual labor or work for wages; "there is a shortage of skilled labor in this field"
5. (n) concluding state of pregnancy; from the onset of labor to the birth of a child; "she was in labor for six hours"
6. (v) undergo the efforts of childbirth
7. (n) an organized attempt by workers to improve their status by united action especially via labor unions (especially the leaders of this movement)
8. (n) a political party formed in Great Britain in 1900; characterized by the promotion of labor''s interests and the socialization of key industries
9. (n) the federal department responsible for promoting the working conditions of wage earners in the United States; created in 1913
10. (n) any piece of work that is undertaken or attempted; "he prepared for great undertakings"
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.