Find a word
Dictionary definition for:
1. (v) tip laterally; "the pilot had to bank the aircraft"
2. (n) a financial institution that accepts deposits and channels the money into lending activities; "he cashed a check at the bank" "that bank holds the mortgage on my home"
3. (v) enclose with a bank; "bank roads"
4. (n) sloping land (especially the slope beside a body of water) "they pulled the canoe up on the bank" "he sat on the bank of the river and watched the currents"
5. (v) do business with a bank or keep an account at a bank; "Where do you bank in this town?"
6. (n) a supply or stock held in reserve for future use (especially in emergencies)
7. (v) act as the banker in a game or in gambling
8. (n) a building in which commercial banking is transacted; "the bank is on the corner of Nassau and Witherspoon"
9. (v) be in the banking business
10. (n) an arrangement of similar objects in a row or in tiers; "he operated a bank of switches"
11. (n) a container (usually with a slot in the top) for keeping money at home; "the coin bank was empty"
12. (v) put into a bank account; "She deposites her paycheck every month"
13. (n) a long ridge or pile; "a huge bank of earth"
14. (v) cover with ashes so to control the rate of burning; "bank a fire"
15. (v) have confidence or faith in; "We can trust in God" "Rely on your friends" "bank on your good education" "I swear by my grandmother''s recipes"
16. (n) the funds held by a gambling house or the dealer in some gambling games; "he tried to break the bank at Monte Carlo"
17. (n) a slope in the turn of a road or track; the outside is higher than the inside in order to reduce the effects of centrifugal force
18. (n) a flight maneuver; aircraft tips laterally about its longitudinal axis (especially in turning) "the plane went into a steep bank"
WordNet 2.1 Copyright Princeton University. All rights reserved.